Here is a link to a brief introduction to the New Catalog. No worries, the old catalog, now referred to as the "Classic Catalog" has not gone away. You can easily move from one to the other and their functions are complementary.
Some general suggestions on when it is best to use each catalog.
New Catalog - search it
- if you know little about a topic you are researching and want to cast a wide net
- when you want more refining options via word clouds and faceted searching
- to directly export catalog records into RefWorks - our footnote and bibliography software
- to include more of the libraries' catalogs: Special Collections, Hampton Film Archives, Modern Graphic Library, University Archives
- to find ebooks only
Classic Catalog search it
- for items that you already know by ISBN, ISSN, Call Number, Author or Title, or Subject Heading
- for items in foreign languages - especially non-Romanized
- to get to "My Catalog" to renew books & to see what you have checked out